Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Camping: A life long desire

Today, I went into Clintonville Outfitters to pick up a few airline friendly containers and I left with a whole lot more. As always. I've been officially in love with with the outdoors since I first left the hospital in my mother's arms 23 years ago. My dad and I would occasionally go camping. More than once, I pretty much forced him to camp out with me in the backyard. But, just about 4 years ago, Dad and I made a pact. Every year right after the Memorial Day weekend, he and I would go somewhere new and exciting to camp for a few days. With each trip we have to do something new and adventurous to increase the sheer pleasure of living outdoors. The first year we went to Tar Hollow State Park hiked an incredible 10 miles! We were useless the rest of the day. The following year we went to Turkey Run State Park and kayaking 16 miles (and finished before anyone else). I got 2nd degree burns on my shins from neglecting to put sunscreen on them. Our latest adventure took us to Maryland. We hiked the length of the state on the Appalachian Trail. It was about 28 miles in total. After that, our 10 mile hike back in the day looks like child's play. We have made this into a life long tradition, so much so that any job I take that will not allow me to take off those days are not going to keep me long.

While I walked through this little outfitters, I was overwhelmed with desire to travel. I do not want to be stuck at home anymore! I want to get out there and experience life and nature and God! That is where I'm supposed to be.

I came home with a book and three small containers, each of which are 1 oz too big to go in a carry on.

1 comment:

Odd1Out said...

Argh! Major cabin fever right now. Your post makes me lust for long trails, green grass, leafy trees, tents, and campfires under the stars.